Tuesday, May 24, 2011

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

So we stumbled upon an old cemetary here in the Fabulous city of Florence and found out the English poet, Elizabeth Barrett Browning is buried here, wow! She is the poet of the poem entitled How do I love thee.

Today I was able to sleep in till 10 am! We spent time looking at the outdoor leather market, garden parks, annoying pigeons, intricate cathedrals, and many piazzas... basically town squares. One of todayàs highlights was seeing the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore Duomo. It is the city's main cathedral and dates frm the late 13th century. Check it out online!

Another highlight was seeing the sun set at Piazza Michelangelo! After a full day of walking every where, many many miles, we decided to make a hike up to this piazza. It was worth it for the view. We could see the expanse and rooftops of Florence, and the sky was lit up purple and pink. It was breathtaking! This was the first full city view I had because all over Florence are tall buildings, narrow streets and it is very compact. It makes it nice to walk to all the sights, but a person with claustrophobia would suffer :)

I love meeting new people, learning new things about the culture, and seeing gorgeous buildings created long, long ago! To end the day, on the walk back to the hostel I bought a kebab, or in Russian a shaurma. A food from the Middle East, a slab of juicy delicious meat, rotating and sliced, put in a tortilla with cabbage, lettuce, and sauce. Yum! It was almost delicious as my lunch today of pasta and a pesto sauce.

I'm enjoying Florence much better than Rome because it is easy to find attractions, there are actual grocery stores, we can walk throughout the city, and many people are helpful and speak English. I recommend you to hop on a plane now and come join me in Florence!

1 comment: