Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Blog Entry #7

I first time I observed the standards being implemented in my Service Learning Placement was my second time at the school. The first grade teacher, Mrs. Holden, pulled out each child individually, into the hallway to test their reading level. Mrs. Holden had a list of each child and their reading level when they left kindergarten. She informed me that by the time 1st grade was over, all the students were expected to be reading at level J. Many of the students were on A, B, or C and reading mostly fluently. However, some students unfortunately were only on pre-k and struggled with simple words.

This particular subject matter was emphasized in the multiple times I observed and worked with the students. I feel this is important to have this basic skill.

It is also a great idea to have the Utah Core Standards online, like the ones that we accessed. This allows the parents to know what is expected to be taught, and the child to master. They parents can help support their children at home in staying caught up and being prepared to learn new educational skills.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment